The Sickest 

I rarely get sick. Truly. I got a cold before Christmas and I figured that my body probably got its required sickness out of the way for a few more years. That’s how infrequently I get sick. 

And then Sunday rolled around, and I started feeling weird. My hair hurt. Can hair even hurt? 

I went to bed Sunday night and spent hours curled into the fetal position shivering uncontrollably. I knew then it was the flu. BUT I GOT A FLU SHOT!!! Sigh. 

It was all reasonably manageable, though. Until it wasn’t. 

Yesterday morning Catch left for work at her usual ungodly hour. I heard Charlotte wake up about an hour later and when I tried to get out of bed, I knew it was bad. I honestly don’t know how I managed to get her out of her crib and turn on Sesame Street. I was sitting on the couch with her in my lap and I couldn’t hold my head up. Somehow she slid out of my lap and landed in a sobbing heap on the floor and I couldn’t do anything. I could not be a parent. I was afraid I was going to pass out. I knew I shouldn’t be alone with my little one. Thank god my phone was next to me. I had just enough in me to call my mom. Barely. 

My mom arrived and literally pulled Charlotte off of me. She screamed and clawed at me. She was scared. I’ve never seen that look on her face before. I collapsed back into bed and all I could hear was her screaming “Mama! Mama!” It hurt my heart. 

Once Charlotte was settled and the nanny arrived, my mom tried to get some fluids into me. I could barely lift my head to drink. She left after a while with instructions to call her if I needed her. 

Catch texted me. I couldn’t respond. 

The nanny texted me. I couldn’t respond. 

By noon, I knew I needed a doctor but I couldn’t pick up my phone. I was actually scared. I did finally manage to text a few barely coherent words to my mom, who came back immediately. 

That’s how I ended up at urgent care hooked up to an IV of fluids. They also gave me a nice strong dose of ibuprofen and Zofran. 

I never took Zofran while pregnant but holy shit that stuff is amazing. I had a good conversation with the doctor about it. I told him that I’m breastfeeding and I wanted to be sure it’s safe. He returned after looking it up and said basically there’s not enough information and he would prefer not to give it to me unless I was willing to make alternate feeding arrangements for my baby. I told him that my “baby” is 18 months old and I don’t have the strength to fight her over weaning when I’m this sick. He actually lit up. He said “Oh, she’s 18 months? We give Zofran to babies 18 months. It’ll be fine. If it were my wife and my child, I’d feel very comfortable.” So that’s how it was decided that I’d go ahead and take the Zofran. 

Anyway, I woke up this morning feeling so much better than yesterday. I’m still sick, but I can function.  Hopefully I can go back to work tomorrow. 

The one highlight to these past few days has been listening to my little girl play all day. I’ve been pretending to leave for work and then sneaking into my bedroom and hiding out in here all day while she hangs out with the nanny. Our den is adjacent to our bedroom and I can hear her in there singing and playing throughout the day. It’s adorable. 

Anyway, that’s where I’ve been this week. Hoping to get back to normal soon!


7 thoughts on “The Sickest 

  1. Oh my gosh, I am so glad you got to urgent care and are you okay! I’m so glad you mom was able to come and help you out!
    And, I have to add, one of my favourite things about working from home is listening to Baby MPB play with the nanny during the day – seriously, it’s just way too cute and makes me smile throughout the day more times then I could possibly count!! So glad you get a few days of enjoying those little sounds. 🙂

  2. That sounds very familiar. I’m glad you had some people who could help you out. ❤ After this last illness, my wife and I decided we're going to have friends or family closer before we have another kid. It's too dangerous otherwise.

      • My wife was sick two days behind me, so it was worse in a way, because I wouldn’t let her take care of the baby even when I needed a break because I knew how poorly *I’d* been feeling.
        In a way, it was a blessing Lady Jr is still so tiny, because her needs are at least very simple and we didn’t have to run after her or anything like that.

  3. I hope you are feeling better. We were both sick last week at the same time and felt like combined we were maybe half a parent. Nick Jr. was the other half. The flu is no joke though- glad you got the medical attention you needed.

  4. Oh no friend!!! That sounds absolutely awful. One time i had a super high fever, felt like death, and thought i had mastitis. It was that bad of a flu! I’m hoping you are feeling better, and that no one else gets it!

  5. I meant to comment on this. Parenting while sick is excruciating and that loss of control sounds terrifying. I hope by now you are back to normal. I think you said in a follow-up that you are taking this as a wake-up call (haha?) about sleep deprivation? Sounds like a silver lining to me–good luck!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s