I’m kind of having a bad week. Not end-of-the-world bad—just run-of-the-mill lousy. I think maybe pregnancy hormones are making me a bit less capable of coping than I might otherwise be.
First there was a summons for jury duty. Then my absolute best work buddy quit. (We’ve worked together for almost 10 years, and I feel like I lost my right arm.) Catch is sick with a horrible cold. I feel totally run down, and I can only hope it’s my body trying to fight off Catch’s cold germs. I’m not sleeping well (combination of waking up to pee and being uncomfortable). Work has been supremely lousy. The house is a mess.
I am just frustrated and sad and grouchy and tired, and I really need a break from reality. And a housekeeper. And an hour with a good book and a soy latte and some kind of bad-for-me baked good. And a massage. (I’d better stop now—I could probably go on like this for a while.)
All that said, let’s talk 16 weeks and our avocado/dill pickle baby (the apps never agree):
- I am absolutely, positively feeling baby flutters. Only occasionally, and usually when I’m sitting or lying quietly, but still… Baby. Moving. Totally freaking amazing. (Although it’s still not enough to keep my fears at bay. I’m beginning to wonder if that’s even possible at this point.)
- I still want curry. I found a Thai place by my office that has fantastic red curry, and it probably would have been safer if I hadn’t discovered it.
- I ordered the Bump Nest pillow last week, but it’s not helping much at this point. I’m a stomach sleeper, and sleeping on my side has been causing neck/shoulder pain. (The neck pain actually triggered a migraine on Monday. Fun.) It’s not that the pillow isn’t great, it’s more just that training my body to sleep in a different position is awkward. I’m hoping I get used to it soon. If I do find myself sleeping on my stomach, I wake up feeling crampy and sore in my abdomen—I know I’ve gotta stop it. As long as we’re on the subject of pregnancy pillows, you know who REALLY loves my new pillow? This girl:
- Dreams. I used to have weird ones when I’d have an HCG trigger or progesterone, but man… not like these. The dreams I’ve been having are just as weird, but much darker. And I’ve had two dreams this week about rivers drying up.
- Doctors. It’s been 5 weeks, but I finally see a midwife on Monday afternoon for a physical exam. I am DYING to hear this baby’s heartbeat. Then l see the perinatologist the following Monday, and we’re hoping she’ll do a quick ultrasound. It has been too long since I’ve seen/heard this baby, and I’ve reached the point where I’m ready to go to one of those elective 3D ultrasound places just for some peace of mind. (And maybe a gender check?) Catch thinks I’m being ridiculous and that I should suck it up and wait for the perinatologist. I’m trying. But they’re open all weekend and they’re right down the street. At the same time, if something is wrong it’s not like I’m going to want to find out anywhere other than my doctor’s office. That’s what’s really keeping me from scheduling something.
Now if you’ll excuse me, it’s time to sit in traffic for a while. This is especially fantastic considering that I’ve had to pee every 30 minutes today.