Rolo isn't feeling very festive tonight.
I don’t want to pigeonhole 2013. It’s had its moments—good and bad—and it’s not fair to hold all of the bad things against it.
I’ve been through the negatives here already, and I’d like to close the door on that right now and focus on some of the really great things that happened in 2013.
- Catch and I worked through our fears and are both thrilled at the prospect of adding a baby to our dynamic. It’s nice to be on the same page.
- We helped our local basset rescue by fostering and re-homing Buttercup, Sammy, and Gidget.
- We took trips! Our longest took us to Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. We also enjoyed a few camping trips to El Capitan and Frazier Park. There were weekend getaways, too—wine country near Santa Maria/Pismo Beach and the more recent trip to Cambria. It was all amazing and I have so many great memories of our explorations this year. I even took my first ever trip to Texas this year (without Catch.)
- We celebrated our 5-year wedding anniversary (on our 8-year dating anniversary). Even at our absolute worst marital moments (not that there are many), I can’t imagine my life without my wonderful wife. I love her more with every passing year.
- I read/listened to some fantastic books! Some of my favorites were Silver Linings Playbook (way better than the movie), The Perks of Being a Wallflower (I’d read it before, but this time I listened to the audiobook and it was even better), Carry On, Warrior, and The Fault in Our Stars. Other reads that weren’t necessarily favorites, but were still quite worthwhile: Truth in Advertising, Where’d You Go, Bernadette, Bloom, and Gone Girl.
- I got to add another person to my team at work and was promoted.
- I learned a ton about TTC and I feel confident going into 2014 that we will figure this out.
- I cooked and baked a ton. Some of my favorite new recipes this year were Turkey & Spinach Meatballs (great with spaghetti squash & marinara sauce), Pioneer Woman’s chocolate sheet cake (, Smitten Kitchen’s Essential Raised Waffles, and the Lemon Almond Streamliner Cake from the book Vintage Cakes
- We grew a fantastic vegetable garden full of tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and herbs.
- I got more comfortable with my camera and took some great photos.
Still, I'm glad to show 2013 the door–if only for the promise that 2014 brings. I hope 2014 is good to all of us.